In order to make sure that we waste as little food as possible we also need to store it correctly. Therefore, we are going to look into the correct storing options for different food types.
So let’s start with fresh seafood:
- Fish needs to be stored in the refrigerator and needs to be eaten within maximum 2 days after purchase
- If you don’t manage to make a delicious dish with your fresh seafood within 2 days, wrap it in a plastic bag that is moisture free and leave it in the freezer
- Never put cooked seafood on the same plate where you have had an initially raw product
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator within 2 hours after cooking
Looking at meat and poultry, follow the tips below:
- Always separate raw red meat and poultry in different packages i.e. moist free plastic containers to prevent any liquids to spill out
- Cooked meat shall always be stored separately from raw meat
- Bear in mind that raw meat or poultry that has been frozen and defrosted shall never be refrozen
To our last categories which are somewhat easier to store: Grains such as brown rice can be kept in vacuum containers for up to 6 months if they are stored in a cool and dry place. Grains can also be frozen and will then last up to 12 months. Moving over to nuts, make sure that they are well sealed once opened. They shall always be stored in room temperature and can last 1 month. If you want them to last 4-6 months, put them in a refrigerator.
Till next time!